What is the first step towards cracking IIT? And, the answer came from the most brilliant section of any classroom, the back bench, “By googling it!” It was yet another “How to crack IIT session” at a leading coaching institution. The question still remains unanswered, how to crack IIT in 30 days for IIT-JEE mains that is the Phase 1 exam? As exciting as it sounds, it is easier said than done. Lacs of students appear for JEE Mains exam every year and only a few students get shortlisted. What makes them different? It requires a lot of true-blue effort and discipline. Believe me, it is not difficult! The only difficult part is the sacrifice you need to make and the temporary deliberate travail you need to take. Aspirants can follow the success mantras of toppers and score/rank higher in Engineering Entrance Exam this year. Though there is not any particular blueprint that works for every student but here are some pinpoints to crack IIT-JEE.
- Revise as much as you can – Revision is one of the most effective ways of learning. Focus on all the concepts you have learnt in the past years and master them during these days. Questions in JEE Mains are more application based; so practice a lot of application-based and conceptual questions, possibly from mixed topics. Avoid those chapters you have not done at all in the past at this stage. Now when you have just one month left try to revise more and more topics in which you are excellent. Do not fall to the enticement of solving some test series which are notorious for being WAY ABOVE the JEE-Main level. It can prove to be catastrophic!
- Focus – It is advisable to seek guidance from subject matter experts. However, this phase should be utilized more for problem-solving, developing shortcuts and memorizing formulas. Candidates must go for mock tests. Proper time management is crucial to get a good rank in IIT-JEE and mock tests help you improve your time management skills.While solving the Mock Test try to remember that you have to solve it within the assigned time i.e. 3 hours.
- Avoid mistakes – Keep track of your efforts so you never make the same mistake twice. For example, while attempting one question, don’t think of any other question. This negatively impacts your speed while solving a particular question. Also, understand the question very clearly first. Don’t rush into solving it without reading it thoroughly. This is the peak time where aspirant has to work out on their mistakes rather than being afraid of it. Otherwise, you will never be able to get over it.
- Complete syllabus on time– There is a set schedule drafted by the subject expert of your coaching institute, follow it strictly. If you have not finished it, then don’t panic. Allocate some extra time to get it done in next few days. Always think positive only then you can achieve your goals. What else you can do is to make a routine chart of remaining 4 weeks according to the topics of every subject and allocate Sunday for the Mock Test. In this way you can complete your syllabus on time before IIT-JEE Mains 2018.
- Rest– Just don’t focus on study mode. At least meditate for 15 minutes every day so that you can improve your concentration levels for the exam. A fresh mind helps to retain more so it is quite necessary to take short and refreshing breaks after long periods of studying. Nervousness can lower down performance to such an extent that sometimes a student who expects and has the right potential to get a top rank in JEE, fails to even qualify.
- Switch off your phones for 30 days– You need to switch off your mobile now. If you cannot, then make sure you use it strictly for exam purpose like to check exam notifications. A little sacrifice of 30 days without phone can make a huge difference to your score and future.
- Prime lesson– Always start with your favourite subject and keep the weakest subject for the end. For example, some students prefer to start with Chemistry but do this only if you are good in Chemistry, otherwise start with Physics or Maths (whatever you like the most). For a 3 hour study session plan your time such that your favourite subject is covered within the first 40 minutes. Then, go for your next favourite and finish it off within 60 minutes. Conclude the remaining time i.e. 80 minutes for your weakest one.
Ultimately, the goal is to build your confidence. So believe in yourself and start preparing with boosted energy! Follow a study plan with small and big goals and study accordingly. Once you achieve your Goal then reward yourself. Also, it’s important to eat healthy food, do some exercise and always remain positive irrespective of situations.
PS: Always be confident on your abilities but never be overconfident.
We highly encourage students to help their fellow classmates and respond to each others queries/comments if you can!